I have a web application which I want to deploy
several times on one server, so that every customer
has his own instance.

How should I do this so that the memory footprint per
deployment is minimized?

A colleague suggested creating one .war file and
referencing this file in several
webapps/application_01.xml, webapps/application_02.xml
etc. files. He said this would be more efficient than
creating several identical webapps/application_01,
webapps/application_02 etc. directories.

Is this true? Are there any better approaches?

When using the same approach with Tomcat 5 I
discovered that the .war file is still unpacked
several times in the webapps directory, once per
conf/Catalina/localhost/application_nn.xml file.

Do I now lose the memory consumption advantage
compared to Tomcat 4? Are there any better methods to
run many instances of the same web application inside
one Tomcat?

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de