1) There is no common hardware config.
2) Every Servlet is different in memory, cpu, and other resource usage - no
test has been developed to test this.

(A brief) List of items influence any servlet benchmark -
- How much logging do you do
- Do you need access logs
- Do you use a database - are the connection pools
- Do you do file system access (servlet open multiple files)
- Does your webapp
-    use custom tags (pooled?)
-    jsps?
-    filters?
-    xml parsing?
- Is your servlet cpu bound?
- Do you require sessions?
- Are your session light or heavy?
- Does each request allocate a lot of objects?
- Is your webapp very static - (1 servlet with lots of images) or very
dynamic? All servlets - hardly any image requests.

But tomcat holds its own very well when people try to come up with bechmarks.
*The most important bechmark is your webapp under stress.*

-Tim