Hi,
It depends on your kernel: most show the behavior Senor Schroeder
describes (so what you're seeing is expected, not a problem).  Some more
recent kernels/thread libs correctly show one process per JVM.

As to why 41 specifically: there's a handful JVM default threads (main,
finalizer, system, etc.), a handful default tomcat threads (its own
main, any watchdogs, etc.), and many request processors (depending on
your server.xml connector configuration).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.