"Eric Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Bill,
>
> I have been trying to trace down a problem with an application I am
building
> on top of Tomcat 4.1. The problem I was encountering was that my HTTP
> response headers were being returned to the client using UTF-8 encoding.
>
> My understanding of RFC 2068 is that all request and response headers
should
> be encoded as ISO-8859-1. The only mechanism for supporting other
encodings
> is by use of RFC 2047.

I seem to remember that UTF-8 was choosen based on what browsers seemed to
want.  You're correct that RFC 2616 specifies ISO-8859-1.

> The issue becomes more curious when I notice that tomcat uses ISO-8859-1
> encode response headers if the request is routed through the internal HTTP
> 1.1 implementation. However, if the request uses the Coyote JK
> implementation, then the header strings are encoded as UTF-8. This is
being
> done explicitly in org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler line 281.
>
> Is there any explanation why the Jk code is writing out the headers in
> UTF-8?

It's been doing this for a long time, but as I recall, it was to catch edge
cases for some browsers.  It would be interesting to know what header value
is giving you trouble in which client.