Allistair Crossley wrote:

We are having a host of problems with character encoding at the moment. Somehow
between the UI and the Struts Action our euro symbols are being turned into question
marks. I have fiddled with the JVM file.encoding, using JSP page directives for
content type and much else besides. I thought Java strings were UTF-8 by default.

Anyway, I stripped off the JSP page directive for encoding and it appears the tomcat default becomes Latin 1 ISO-8859-1. The euro character does not appear in this charset and I need Cp1252 to be default.

Can I change Tomcat's default charset?

Thanks ADC

Allistair,

I think that you might find that sicking with UTF-8 will give you the most long-term joy.

Here is a link to some info about i18n that may be of use to you.
http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html

Mike