Thanks for all the comments.  I didn't realise that the RealmBase class was just
wrapping
the java.security.MessageDigest.

I have just added my own simple class that wraps this method and returns a hex string
store in the DB.

Tim

BTW what is the difference between an encryption algorithm and a digesting one?