I'm new to all of this, so I may be making an obvious mistake, but I've
looked all over and can't seem to find a solution.

I'm following the instructions for installing a certificate from a CA
found here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

Everything went fine until the step where you import the chain cert.
I entered this command:
keytool -import -v -alias root -keystore .keystore -trustcacerts \
-file amon-chain.cer

And got this error:
keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate

I copied both certs (chain and server) from a web browser into separate
text files and saved them.  They are base64 encoded and the chain is in
pcks7 format.  I made sure to get the -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and
-----END CERTIFICATE-----.  If I used keytool -printcert it prints it out
OK, so I'm assuming that it is of the proper format.

java version: Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.4.2-b28)

tomcat version: 4.1.24-LE-jdk14

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

(Please CC me as I get the digest version and would prefer to get these
separate.)

Thanks
Ben