"Jonathan Eric Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I am trying to configure my application so that everything has to be
> encrypted. I was able to do that by using the security constraint at the
> bottom of this message. I've had this working for awhile without a
problem.
> However, now, I want to add an additional restriction. I want to make it
so
> that users can't access .jsp files directly. So, I added an additional
> security-constraint. However, it doesn't work. The only way I can get the
> .jsp constraint to work is if I comment out the other one. I've tried
> changing the order of the constraints and that doesn't make a difference.

Since changing the order doesn't do anything, I'm assuming that you are
using Tomcat 5.

> What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it merge the two constraints together?
It
> appears to just pick the most general case and go with that one.

It actually will just pick the most specific case:  However, in the
Servlet-Spec, '/*' is more specific than '*.jsp'.  There really isn't much
that Tomcat can do about it, since the 2.4 Servlet-Spec is very specific
about how security-constraints are evaluated.  My advice is to try and
understand the security model in the Servlet-Spec, and then try and work out
how to apply it to your specific case.  It's likely going to be ugly :(.