I used that example to write my Manager config. However when the manager is nested inside the host it doesn't look to work since I don't have any row in my database.
So I nest the manager in a context as below, and I can see my sessions in the database.

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
<Context path="/jsp-examples" docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/jsp-examples" debug="10" privileged="false">
<Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager" debug="10" saveOnRestart="true" checkInterval="1" maxActiveSessions="-1" minIdleSwap="-1" maxIdleSwap="0" maxIdleBackup="0">
<Store className="org.apache.catalina.session.JDBCStore" debug="9" connectionURL="jdbc:sapdb://192.168.1.3/COCHISE?user=DBA&amp;password=DBA" driverName="com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.DriverSapDB"
sessionAppCol="app_name"
sessionDataCol="session_data"
sessionIdCol="session_id"
sessionLastAccessedCol="last_access"
sessionMaxInactiveCol="max_inactive"
sessionTable="DBA.tomcat_sessions"
sessionValidCol="valid_session"/>
</Manager>
</Context>
</Host>

That solution doesn't pleased me a lot because I want to store the session for all deployed context. How can I do that ?

I have an other question : should I write something in my servlet to recover a session for example after a crash or does tomcat do it automatically ?

Thanks a lot

Xavier

Shapira, Yoav a écrit :

Hi,

I've read all the server.xml file and there is no marks of the Manager
configuration.

The example was removed a while ago, but you can still see it in older versions of server.xml by going to the CVS or downloading an old release: http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/c onf/server.xml?annotate=1.2 for example has a complete example of a persistent manager commented out.

I saw in the documentation that "A Manager element MAY be nested inside
a Context component". And In the server.xml there aren't any contexts.

It MAY be nested inside a Context, but doesn't have to be. It can be inside a Host or an Engine, both of which are more common than having a Manager inside a Context.

So don't you think that the file to be configured must be
${CATALINA_HOME}\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml ?

No, that's for tomcat's Manager webapp, which is not the same thing as the session Manager. I realize the names might be confusing.

By the way, don't you have an example ?

We used to ship one with tomcat in server.xml, so see above for accessing older versions of that file.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.