> Why do you doubt they'd work?  I'd give them a shot if I were you --
> after all, that IS on of the main points of Java ;)

Oh, I see.  It didn't occur to me that Tomcat was itself written in java.
But, of course!

So I downloaded the binaries and used them for the same tests just as you
recommended, however there was no difference at all in the results.  The jar
file still does not work.  By the way, I have double and triple checked that
the jar file does indeed contain the very same class.

-- Michael