First you need to import you CA cert into a JKS keystore file (usually
different from the one that you are using for Tomcat's keystore).  Since you
are using 4.1.x, you then need to add:
  -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/path/to/truststore/file
to the command line that starts Tomcat.  (For TC 5, you would add
truststoreFile="/path/to/truststore/file" to the Connector element in
server.xml).  After that, Tomcat should start accepting you client certs.

"Julie McCabe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use SSL authenitcation with X509 certificates.  The
certifcates
> are not in the Java keystore.  I would like to know how to get my
certificate
> whichi is signed by a specific CA into the keystore and use the https
> connector.
>
> I have found some documentation on the web but have had little success
with
> getting my certificates into the keystore and SSL Connector configuration.
> know my certificates are valid, maybe I am missing something with regards
> the CA which signed the certifcate.  I am using tomcat 4.1.27, Red Hat
Linix