On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 07:18:27PM -0700, Mike Duffy wrote:
: As I said in my original email:  You could try to map every process exit
: and remove unneeded objects at then end of a process; however,
: implementing this might be burdensome in a complex application.

-which is why I tend to push for Suggestion #3: Load Test and Size
Accordingly.  =)  You even have your choice of GC algos with JDK 1.4+, so
the garbage collection shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Otherwise:

- Each Action keeps a list of keys, for objects it stores in
  the session.  This list would be the same for every Action
  in the same process.

  Store said list in the Request object under a known key,
  each time the Action is called.  (Same key, app-wide.)

- Create a custom tag that looks for said key, and deletes every
  session object named there.  Call this tag, "<You:cleanup>"

- Place "<You:cleanup>" at the end of every error page and
  "end of process" page.

That's effectively your "finally" clause right there.

YMMV, but if you use Struts declarative exception handling (i.e. you have
just a handful of error pages) then this wouldn't be a lot of work to
implement, nor to maintain.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net