Yes,

just write your own extension of org.apache.catalina.Realm (or extend o.a.c.realm.RealmBase)and read:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/realm-howto.html

then follow the instruction on how to install your own valve (search the list :-) )

-- Jeanfrancois

Carl Howells wrote:

Is it possible to set the Principal and Roles for a session in a manner which will satisfy a <role-name> security constraint programmatically? At all? I don't mind ignoring the servlet spec and doing something tomcat-specific. This is something that vitally needs to be done on my project.

Thanks for any solutions...

Carl Howells