I posted a question about this about a week ago, but haven't seen any reply.

I've set up Tomcat 4.1.30 for secure access via SSL. Unsecure port is 8080, secure
port is 8081. I use Tomcat for J2EE application development, and the problem is
related to that. Using basic authentication, things work fine. When I move from an
unsecure to a secure area of my application, the dialog box pops up and upon entering
the correct user/password, I'm redirected to the secure port. However, if I change to
form based authentication, when trying to send me to the login form, it sends me to
the unsecure port using https. In other words:
https://localhost:8080/secureApp/login.jsp

It should be sending me to 8081. Any clue why this would happen? Snippets from my
connectors in server.xml are below. If you need other info, just ask.

<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" ...
port="8080" ... redirectPort="8081" scheme="http" secure="false" ...>
  <Factory
className="org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory"/>
</Connector>
<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" ...
port="8009" ... redirectPort="8081" scheme="http" secure="false" ... >
  <Factory
className="org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory"/>
</Connector>
port="8081" ... scheme="https" secure="true">
  <Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
clientAuth="false" keystoreFile=".keystore" protocol="TLS"/>
</Connector>