From: Ruth, Brice [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: June 10, 2004 15:20
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Corrupted UTF-8 JSPs?!

Thanks, but I believe the problem is in the WAR packaging, somehow ... because I develop locally, deploy w/o packaging and it works fine - if I package it up again and re-deploy LOCALLY, then I get garbage ...

native2ascii only works for properties files, as far as I've been able to determine. UTF-8 encoded JSPs have to have UTF-8 encoded characters, not the \u escaped characters that native2ascii creates. We only use native2ascii for our properties files

Yansheng Lin wrote:

"developed locally, and then deployed remotely"

Make sure on the remote system, the Java Runtime Environment supports UTF-8
and is using it as the default encoding(export
JAVA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding="utf8").

native2ascii UTF-8 encoded characters may help too.

Yan