To get Tomcat to hit your servlet instead of the ROOT(welcome page),
you have to trick Tomcat by changing the servlet mapping (web.xml) to
index.jsp.  Tomcat will send you automatically to your servlet
assumming index.jsp is in your welcome file list.    <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>YourServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/index.jsp</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <Home-file-list>
    <Home-file>