Hi Nico,

First, my best advice is to open a command prompt and run the startup.bat
file from there in order to see any error messages generated by the startup.

Assuming you had unzipped tomcat into c:\tomcat-3.2.1
and the current JDK into c:\jdk1.3.0_02

you would want to have environment variables of:

TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tomcat-3.2.1
JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3.0_02
PATH=c:\jdk1.3.0_02\bin;%PATH%

You want the bin folder below c:\jdk1.3.0_02 in your path, as that is where
java.exe and javac.exe are located.  Finally, you will want to add all the
.jars in the c:\tomcat-3.2.1\lib folder to your CLASSPATH env. variable.
Although tomcat adds them automatically when you start it, they won't be
there when you go to compile a servlet, and javac will just spit out an
error (assuming that is how you are compiling them).

CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;c:\tomcat-3.2.1\lib\servlet.jar;...etc.

You set environment vars, as you probably know, by opening Control Panel,
then system, the Advanced (for win2k).  You'll probably want to set tomcat
up as a service under Win2k/nt.  Easy to do, download the jk_nt_service.zip
file and use the tomcat docs to do this.

.WAR files are web archives, and are a part of the current servlet spec --
they are analogous to .jars.  If you put a .war file below
c:\tomcat-3.2.1\webapps, it should expand it for you automatically.  I'm
reasonably sure that the ANT tool creates them, but I *haven't* used it, so
I'm speaking based on an impression from looking at it a little on the
jakarta.apache.org page.  Lots of commercial tools create them. I'm
*reasonably* sure there will be a tool on that site if it isn't ANT --
anyone?

Gordon
A tomcat newbie as of this past Fri.