> From: Brian SJ Wong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I am going to use the ROOT
> folder to store my servlets. There is a web.xml file in that
> folder and I only alter the information about the servlet
> that I am going to put, which is the HelloWorld. I only wrote
> the HelloWorld.java and put them in the
> ../ROOT/WEB-INF/classes folder.

The Java source code does not go in ROOT/WEB-INF/classes.  That's where
the compiled code goes.

http://localhost:8081/servlet/HelloWorld, it will
> automatically compile the HelloWorld.java and make the class.

AFAIK, Tomcat will not automatically compile your Servlets.  So, first
thing, compile your HelloWorld.java file into HelloWorld.class.  Your
previous comments indicate that you know how to do that.  If not, post
the commands you're typing and the exact error message you're getting,
and someone will help.

Even when you get that done, the URL you intend to use will NOT work.
URLs with /servlet in them generally depend on the Invoker Servlet being
enabled.  The Invoker Servlet is disabled by default.  So drop the
/servlet part of the URL, and edit web.xml to include <servlet> and
<servlet-mapping> tags for your Servlet.

Here's the example web.xml file from the Tomcat 5 docs:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/web.xml.txt

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.