On 7/8/2004 7:39 PM, QM wrote:
: > Use https://... instead of http://...
: : Wow, if only I'd held off a few more minutes on my mail; thanks, this
: was my problem as well. Is there a reason there's not a more legible
: error?

The server expects to complete an SSL-enabled handshake before your HTTP-level request makes it to Tomcat proper. Since you don't issue the GET/POST to Tomcat in this case, it certainly can't generate an HTTP-level error page in response.

Sniff the connection and you'll see.  The "four squares" are likely your
brower's approximation of the non-ASCII chars it received from the
server when attempting a handshake.

-QM

Don't know how Apache's httpd server handles it - if I send an http request to the https port (eg. http://www.domain.com:443) which has ssl support, it managed to display something like:

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

    Hint: https://www.domain.com:443/";

I wonder if it's possible to hack the coyote connector to have the same behavior ...

Dennis