Yes, I can't agree with this more
u need to do sdome testing, use JUnit if u can
But I would prefer not only use String.equals, but actually print out
the HEX value of the string
u need to print out the HEX value in:
Just before the JSP form start submit
when the action start process the form
just before any database process
after that, goto Mysql console and print out the HEX value that u just
insert of update

and do the same when u retrieve that value from database

in any case, all the above HEX values should be the same

I know it is ignoring but many people go throught this, sometimes ago
I have the exact problem like this when I use Mysql + PHP + SQL Server
to do database sync.

Regards