I would recommend using Apache to handle the ssl connections for you.
I've been using apache as the ssl connection point in our production
environment and using mod_jk to send things on to tomcat.

I had tried using the ssl connector bundled with tomcat, but after awhile,
it just seemed to reach a point where it no longer served up web pages.
Perhaps it was just a config thing...  At any rate, if you've already got
apache ssl working correctly, you just have to add a line to your conf
file:

Before:
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml?)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>

After:
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|jsp|phtml|php3?)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>

Good Luck!

- Dan -