IMHO this depends on quite a lot of thinks. Type of rdbms you use,
complexity of your usual query and so forth. I would start with the
following question though: How many queries a minute does a typical user
trigger when s/he is using your app? Taking it from there, you can make some
(hopefully good) guesses.

Lets say you have 1 query a minute per user and expect a maximum of 7000
users at any given time. It would be devils work, if all of them trigger at
exactly the same time so I would assume for now that they all log on within
one minute. 7000 users divided by 60 secs would be approx. 117 concurrent
(in terms of db-access) users at high time. I would therefore start with a
maxActive of 150, set maxIdle to a much lower value (around 40) because you
have such a hight fluctuation in user-numbers...

But as has been suggested before, it basically is a try and error process ;)

HTH, Jan