I believe if you put your context XML files in webapps, Tomcat will copy them to the Catalina directory, at which point it will consider *that* context file as the authoritative resource, so updates to your context XML in webapps won't be recognized.

Not entirely sure on this, but I've had some issues with not putting them in the proper place. The correct place really is the Catalina directory, as the docs say.

Charles N. Harvey III wrote:

Hello.
I was using Tomcat 4 and I had my foo.xml file in $catalina_home/webapps/foo.xml.
This pointed Tomcat to a different directory where the application resided.
Now, in Tomcat 5 I see in the docs that I am supposed to be placing these
files in $catalina_home/conf/Catalina/localhost/foo.xml.

Do I HAVE to?  Can I configure Tomcat 5 to see them in the /webapps/ dir?
Or, is that a bad practice?

Just wondering.  Thanks a lot.

Charlie

-- Brice Ruth, Sr. IT Analyst Fiskars Brands Inc http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/