        From: Peter Lin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 05/08/2004 17:55
        To: Tomcat Users List
        Subject: Re: Strage Behaviour - Tomcat Memory Leak

        I've used JProfiler in the past and I found it somewhat unreliable,
        since it is pretty heavy weight. I should say it was based on a half
        dozen tests using JProfiler and not a scientific evaluation.

        it was the free eval version a couple years back. I find optimizeIt
        more reliable for me and a little less heavy weight. I've use
        OptimizeIt in the past and tomcat without any requests shows flat
        memory usage. in other words constant.

        peter

        On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:39:44 -0300, Roberto Rios
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I was doing an evaluation of JProfiler in order see the improvements did
        > since the last time I used it. I has a feature (like other profilers) that
        > shows the heap usage in real time.
        >
        > As I always do, I have installed a new copy of tomcat, with NO changes. I
        > have just unziped it into a directory (by the way, I am using winXP,
        > J2SDK1.4.2_05, JProfiler 3.1 and tomcat 4.1.30/5.0.25).
        >
        > So I started JProfiler, that automatically starts tomcat (I have tested it
        > against 4.1.30 and 5.0.25 - same behaviour), and I also started the heap
        > monitor (that JProfiler calls VM Telemetry).
        >
        > What I saw, IMHO, is very strange: time to times (around every 30 minutes)
        > the heap is totally filled, and the garbage collector runs. So the graph
        > looks like a saw:
        >
        >  /|  /|  /|  /
        > / | / | / | /
        > /  |/  |/  |/
        >
        > What is strange, is that I does't touch tomcat. I just start it. Nothing is
        > running under it (except the default applications: manager, examples,
        > etc.... Anyway, I have cleaned the server.xml and webapps, removing the
        > manager, admin and examples app. Same bahaviour again).
        >
        > IMHO, the heap usage should be a flat line if nothing is running under
        > tomcat. Something like (the initial increase is due to tomcat startup) this:
        >
        >  /----------
        > /
        > /
        >
        > My conclusion, is that OR tomcat has a huge memory leak, OR JProfiler isn't
        > reliable.
        >
        > Does anyone has an explanation about this behaviour? Is it know? Maybe a
        > listener, logger, etc?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Bob

QAS Ltd.