What kind of weight based load balancing are you thinking of?  the
type of load balancing I've used is based on one of several.

1. ping time
2. preset load factor - usually based on hardware
3. system load - the weight is calculated using a hash of memory and cpu usage

in situations where all the servers use the same hardware, ping time
actually ends up working quite well. In the case where the hardware is
mixed and some servers are much bigger, system load is commonly used.
I know Resonate supports all three approaches.

currently a couple guys are working on better apache-tomcat load
balancing, so I would suggest searching the tomcat-dev archives.

peter