Hi,

Thanks to you both, but my question is not so much about how
to get the user name in the request.

Instead, it's this: I need to use basic authentication (i.e. the browser
pops up the login), but then I need to run custom code to actually
check the login and password with an internal system, instead of
the usual options available out of the box (memory realms, jdbc realms, etc.)

I thought at first I would need a custom realm, but several messages on this
list gave me the impression that a realm can't really affect the request/response.
I need to not only do custom authentication, but the response will also be
completely customized to the user who logs in.

I'm still learning here, but realms seem to be too limited, valves seem to
be too complex for the job.

Is there a simple middle ground?

Thanks again,

Fred