Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the objects are not necessarily obtained directly from the request parameter. Sometimes data is massaged or obtained from other sources. I was hoping that there is a generic way to override the behavior. Since you mentioned about the used of filter, I actually do have a servlet filter and a servlet request wrapper for my application. Maybe I would just override the getWriter method with a PrintWriter wrapper that outputs "" for null value? Let me try to see what happens if I do that...

Thanks, -- Rick

Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:

There is no Tomcat magic configuration parameter to make this happen. Instead, take a look at HttpServletRequestWrapper. You can combine that with a Filter to override the behavior of getParameter() for the pages that need it such that it returns "" instead of "null" when no such parameter value exists.

If you're unfamiliar with the above concepts, check Google, so see:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2001/jw-0622-filters-p4.html

Good luck,
justin