The URL "/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc" is what IE goes looking for if it doesn't
recognise the response from a WEBDav compliant server. I have seen similar
problems on TC5 in the past around 302 redirects from, for example,
http://localhost/webdav to http://localhost/webdav/. Using a servlet mapping of
"/*" rather than "/" seemed to fix things. I haven't seen this on TC4 but try it
and see if it helps.

My XP box that I do Tomcat dev on is fully patched and I haven't seen this for a
while. Whether those facts are related is anybody's guess ;)

Mark