It's a mistake that it was there. Check out the conf/Catalina/localhost directory. You'll see a balancer.xml file there as well, along with a few others. That is the correct place for context configuration files (CCF) to be... at least for the "localhost" Host (as defined in server.xml). Put your file there and it should work just fine, although you might notice the app being deployed twice because it will be autodeployed under the path "/jsp-examples" as well as your defined path "/je". To avoid this, you would want to move jsp-examples out of webapps and point to it in the CCF. The other option would be to turn off autodeploy in the Host config in server.xml.

Jake