Maybe you want to automate the build process so you don't depend on
your expanded directory to store your data ?
Say in ant just generate the war file along with your data (from your
build directory) then deploy it.Then you never really worry what
tomcat does to your war file or the directory it explodes to.
Simply regenerate the war file along with your data when you make changes, :D