Hi Remy,

> > > imported packages are not used. This is throwing an exception.
> > >
> > > Did you look at the generated source ?
> >
> > No, I just removed the imports from my JSP that it was
> complaining about and it went away. Would you like me to put
> them back in and then look at the generated source for you?
>
> Were the imports not actually used if you were able to remove them
> without problems ? What was the error output ? (why do I have to ask
> this question ?)

OK. The JSP in question is my error page (e.g isErrorPage="true") which prints out the
exception in a more aesthetic manner. The reason this page was being thrown at me is
because of all the other issues with the JNDI connectivity. Initially when I first
started 5.5 the error message was a JasperException telling me that various package
imports were not being used. Now, I never thought that was a crime (just not very good
programming) but 5.5 decided to blow up because of these imports. Since the imports
were not actually used, I decided to remove them from the JSP and this solved the
error, and now I can see my nice error page - but remember I am seeing it in the first
place because all my database connectivity is broken. I am guessing that as soon as
JNDI is fixed and my webapp can proceed to fully start up, quite a number of my JSPs
will break due to unused package imports. I am guessing this must be a change in
Jasper because 5.0 was happy to render JSPs with unused package imports (as is any
Java application code).

> > > cannot be deployed because it was shared by another context.
> > > I just removed the ROOT folder from webapps to get rid of
> > > that problem.
> > >
> > > Does everyone really think it's a good idea to have
> Context elements
> > > in server.xml ?
> >
> > I don't and I have not. This error occurred with an out of
> the box server.xml with _no_ Context elements. All I did was
> have ROOT and my own webapp in the webapps folder and then
> add mywebapp.xml into the conf/C/l/ folder. I think the clash
> came because my webapp using a path of "" which seems to be
> what ROOT tries to do also. Just removing ROOT from webapps
> sorts this out.
>
> You really need to describe issues accurately (I always find your
> reports extremely weird, unfortunately). I think what you did is that
> you copied over your existing configuration, which will cause
> problems.

I'm sorry you find my posts weird. I've been unlucky with some of the problems I have
had with TC I guess. I do try and do everything properly.

Here is an exact description of what I did to cause this problem including my stdout
after starting TC.

1. Downloaded 5.5 as zip, installed Java 5 SDK
2. Unzipped to c:\jakarta-tomcat
3. Copied c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25\conf\Catalina\localhost\iq.xml to
c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\iq.xml (this iq.xml file is my web
application. It contains my Context as the following header + all my JNDI resources
...)

<Context path="" docBase="/iq" reloadable="true">

4. Copied c:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25\webapps\iq to c:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\iq
5. Copied my database jTDS JAR into c:\jakarta-tomcat\common\lib\jtds.jar
6. Ran c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\service.bat ensuring use of new Java 5 SDK
7. Started TC service.
8. Opened STDOUT log ...

02-Sep-2004 16:34:55 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
02-Sep-2004 16:34:55 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 1532 ms
02-Sep-2004 16:34:56 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
02-Sep-2004 16:34:56 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.0
02-Sep-2004 16:34:56 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
**Start of LogManager static initializer
*** configurationOptionStr=log4j.properties
log4j:INFO Using URL
[file:/C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/iq/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties] for automatic
log4j configuration of repository named [default].
log4j:ERROR Could not find value for key log4j.appender.CoreLogicA
log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "CoreLogicA".
log4j:WARN No such property [datePattern] in org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-email.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-stats-content-access.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:WARN No such property [datePattern] in org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-app-admin.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-dto.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:WARN No such property [datePattern] in org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-app-holiday-forms.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-actions.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-cms.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-application.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-app-rewards-and-recog.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-errors.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-stats-search-access.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-authentication.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-sys-search.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
log4j:INFO fileane is c:/jakarta-tomcat/logs/iq2-core-actions.log
log4j:INFO sdf is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** End of LogManager static initializer
02-Sep-2004 16:35:01 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: org.apache.webapp.balancer.BalancerFilter: init(): ruleChain:
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.RuleChain:
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.URLStringMatchRule: Target string: News / Redirect
http://www.yahoo.com], [org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.AcceptEverythingRule:
Redirect URL: http://jakarta.apache.org]]
02-Sep-2004 16:35:02 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
02-Sep-2004 16:35:02 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
02-Sep-2004 16:35:03 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
SEVERE: Error deploying web application directory ROOT
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addChild:  Child name '' is not unique
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:749)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:880)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:843)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:474)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1063)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1003)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:420)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:1967)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:545)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)
02-Sep-2004 16:35:03 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
02-Sep-2004 16:35:03 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
02-Sep-2004 16:35:04 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
02-Sep-2004 16:35:04 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK2: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
02-Sep-2004 16:35:04 org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/32  config=C:\jakarta-tomcat\conf\jk2.properties
02-Sep-2004 16:35:05 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 9234 ms

So you see, I have _not_copied any server configuration from my old tomcat 5.0.25 and
I am sure you _must_ be able to generate this usecase simply by placing an empty
webapp into your webapps folder and then adding an xml config for it in
/conf/Catalina/localhost/ with attribute path=""

My point was that it appears from the exception that ROOT owns path="" and so when my
iq web application is started which also wants to use path="" TC is falling over.

My solution which proves this was to simply delete ROOT folder from
c:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps and restart TC. This removes this exception.

I hope this clarifies my point on this matter. Please let me know if I can help
further.

ADC.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software