De: Patrick Burleson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: domingo, 05 de septiembre de 2004 17:05
Para: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Asunto: Log4J in Tomcat 5.0...I don't believe the FAQ

So I'm trying to get Tomcat 5.0 to use Log4J for its log output
formatted to my liking. Started searching and found a link to this
message in the Tomcat FAQ that says it has the solution.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=108330970225012&w=2

Well, after performing what seem like simple steps (probably the steps
I would have done anyway), still no logging through Log4J.

Did I miss some magically step number 4 or even step 0? I copied
log4j-1.2.8.jar to <CATALINA>/commons/lib and put the example
log4j.properties in <CATALINA>/commons/classes at DEBUG level and
still only got the original format with only INFO level stuff printing
out.

I tried with the following versions of Tomcat on Windows XP with JDK
1.4.2_05 and JDK 5.0-RC:

5.0.27 Windows Installer
5.0.27 Zip file
5.0.19 Windows Installer
5.0.19 Zip File

I tried the last two since they were the version mention in the mail
message. I tried the zips thinking maybe there was something
"different" about the windows installers.

Later in that thread it is mentioned by Jacob Kjome in message
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=108333554729166&w=2 :

" I've pointed out almost these exact instructions many times before
and people keep asking or say it doesn't work (it does)."

I just don't believe it. There has to be something I missed...but
that's hard to do when there's only 3 steps, one of them being
"Download Log4J".

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick