Hi Allistair,

I am using win2k and your filter with it set to UTF-8 encoding. Indeed I
have not been able to set JVM [file.encoding = utf-8]in the catalina.bat yet
(my catalina.out doesnt look like your catlina.bat example
that you gave me before!). I am going to continue trying setting the
encoding because currently my > file.encoding = Cp1252, and I am thinking
this is the root of my problems.

But I have now discovered when I view the logfile where all my system.outs
goto(catalina.out) as iso-8859-15, I can view the €
symbol inside of the logfile . This is not visible when the editor is using
utf-8, which is what java will treat this text as.

In addition when I use the command request.getCharacterEncoding() i get a
null string.

Also I have come to the conclusion, that the oracle jdbc string doesnt
support passing of character encoding like with sqlserver.
I will let you know how I get on when I change the jvm file.encoding.

I am pulling my hair now !!

regards

Ben