Since I just posted such a message let me explain why I am
installing 4.1.x.  It is for a third party software the latest
release of which requires Servlet spec 2.3.  That is supported
by TC 4 only.  The vendor does not take any responsibilty that
their product will work with Servlet spec 2.4, so I can't use
TC 5 no matter how much I want to.  Maybe this is also a question
of backwards compatability of new Servlet and other specs.
Just as an example: I couldn't upgrade Java to 1.4 because the
third party software definitely didn't work with it, I tried.
Another example is tomcat itself.  I can't just replace TC3
with TC4.  Essentially everything has changed.  No TC3 config
file will work and no conversion tool or even a proper description
exists.  So for real work it is not that simple to just use the
latest version of tomcat or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.
Michael