Hi

> What I want to know is even if our program has a memory leak, it should
crash the JVM right?

No, your program (better your webapp) should get OutOfMemoryExceptions and
should continue running. Mostly, it will not do sensful things any more, but
it should NEVER crash the JVM.

> It should not keep increasing the memory allocated from the Windows Server
2003 O/S.

Right. It should go about 64 MB over your max heap setting (which is approx.
the jvm overhead), but not 1 GB above. There is something wrong. Are you
sure you specified both MIN AND MAX heap values? Can you show your OPTS? How
are you starting tomcat - as service or as application?

> Could this be a issue with the Windows server 2003 garbage collection as I
read it is written using C#? anyone has any idea if this is the problem?

No.
Windows 2003 server has nothing to do with applications garbage collection.
Java JVM have their own garbage collector, you can even choose one from
command line - what you could try.
Windows 2003 itself has no garbage collection at all. Windows 2003 provides
.net by default, which itself works semtantically like a VM and which itself
DOES HAVE a garbage collector. That one IS used for C#, but I doubt it is
written in C#.
And even if it would be written in C#, that should not be the problem, since
it is used in really huge applications and has not shown to be a big source
of leaks so far.

Regards,
  Steffen