Garret Wilson wrote:
Shouldn't the imported information be merged into the JSF component tree, rather than just spitting out the JSF tags (and all other tags) as if they were serialized literally?

I've discovered several things. First, it appears you must have something like this in your included file:

<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"; prefix="jsf" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"; prefix="html" %>

Using standards-compliant JavaServer Faces-compatible stuff like defining namespaces doesn't seem to work:

<jsf:verbatim
        xmlns:jstl="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core";
        xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page";
        xmlns:jsf="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core";
        xmlns:html="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html";>

With the <%@ taglib>s, the information is correctly processed and folded into the component tree instead of being included statically.

Secondly, don't create an entire HTML file in the included file. Even though _Professional JavaServer Faces_ (page 189) shows an entire HTML file in an included file, doing so will cause those elements to be included in the original file---resulting in a duplicate <html> inside <body> and the like.

(Sorry if this should have went to a JavaServer Faces list---I didn't know if this was a Tomcat bug at first.)

Garret