So I'm trying to use the ™ character entity in a pure XML JavaServer faces file, and it doesn't let me, because it isn't defined. Fair enough; I add this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE jsp:root [
        <!ENTITY trade    "&#8482;" ><!-- trade mark sign, U+2122 ISOnum -->
]>
<jsp:root version="2.0"
        xmlns:jstl="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core";
        xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page";
        xmlns:jsf="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core";
        xmlns:html="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html";>

I get:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /documents.jsp(9,44) Element type "jsp:root" must be declared.

I didn't know that XML required internal document types to declare the root element.

Strangely enough, I hit "refesh" and sometimes Tomcat 5.5.2 will show the *old* cached page, before I added the &trade; character entity. I keep hitting "refresh" and it randomly shows an error and the old cached page.

Garret