On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:17:49PM -0700, Chuck Carson wrote:
: Would I be better
: off using 4.x or should I use 5.0x? The app I am writing will not likely be ready
for at least a
: year so I kinda want to use the latest possible stable version so I'm still pretty
up to date 1
: year from now.

A year is a long time =)

1/ the "latest" Tomcat is v5.5, but that's still in alpha (or beta?) so
you probably don't want to use that if you're writing an app anew

2/ Tomcat 5.0 is stable and fairly modern (servlet spec 2.4/ JSP 2.0).

A safe bet would be to use 5.0 for now, but keep an eye on 5.5 (and
whatever else comes out in the next year).

Generally speaking, as long as you keep an eye on the relevant J2EE
specs and don't code to container-specific features, migration between
containers/versions is straightforward.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net