Hi!

We are using a (J2EE-based) CMS, where clients have their sites as subdirectories
under .../webapps, i.e. a single webapp means a single virtual host.

On our older server (Suse 8.0) they were deployed using mod_webapp, the Apache
VirtualHosts each had a line like 'WebAppDeploy abc tomcat /' (tomcat being the name
of the WebAppConnection).

Now, on Suse 9.0 this doesn't work anymore, as the mod_webapp throws an exception,
saying that the context root must match the name of the webapp, i.e. is expecting
lines like 'WebAppDeploy abc tomcat /abc'.

I already spent so many hours finding out how to deploy these webapps for the virtual
hosts via "/", and not via "/abc". I found examples using <Host>-entries in server.xml
combined with lines 'WebAppDeploy . tomcat /' in the VirtualHosts, but with about 10
webapps being configured that way I got more than 400 java-processes after restarting
Apache, which is not usable.

I somewhere read at jakarta.apache.org that mod_webapp is obsolete, so I tried with
mod_jk, as this seems to be the recommended way with Suse 9.0 anyway (already
activated by default). But still, I somehow only get the webapps being deployed as
subdirectories ("www.xyz.com/abc/"), and not as "www.xyz.com/" only. I tried with
different JkMount/Alias/DocumentRoot directives, but I didn't get it right.

So, how do I do it? Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

TIA & Regards

--
Stephan Paukner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG public key ID: 0xAC6B7700