From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 1:51 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: multiple tomcat instance and log4j

Hi,

>It is my impression that lots of people on this user list are using
log4j
>as
>their logging mechanism. Also i believe lots of people here use
multiple
>tomcat instances for load balancing. I am wondering how you guys are
using
>log4j in this case. If anyone can give me some ideas and/or answer my
>questions below, that will be greatly appreciated.

I'm one of those people, and my usage is as simple as can be: everything
separate.  Each webapp has its own log4j.properties and log4j.jar in
WEB-INF/lib.  Each Tomcat server has its own logging configuration.
They all write to separate log files.

I use programmatic configuration with a repository selector originally
written by Jacob Kjome and available in the log4j CVS repository.  I (or
rather our admins) also use the configuration servlet in from the log4j
CVS to change log4j settings at runtime, and they sometimes attach
chainsaw to running systems to look at what's going on.  All of this has
been working for years now without a problem, using log4j 1.2.8 and
various versions of tomcat.

Since I don't combine the logs or run any sort of statistics from them,
I can't help with those questions you had.

My take on it is to always keep everything separate.  It's easier to
manage, deploy, and inspect only the relevant logs when an error occurs.
Disk space is virtually free not only for big companies anymore, but for
nearly anyone, so the cost of having N copies of the log4j.jar is
negligible.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

sender.  Thank you.