Is anyone using tomcat on debian with a Sun JVM? We've just experimented with running it on bleeding edge Gentoo and Debian boxes as well as a trailing edge Redhat 7.3 box. Of the three, Debian is the only one where things don't go quite right. It sort of works but it never spawns any threads and consquently doesn't perform very well on our 4 cpu box. We've gone over the configurations in these pretty carefully and it doesn't seem to be a config issue.

We've tried all four combinations of j2se 1.4.2, j2se 1.5, tomcat4 and tomcat5 always with the same result. I also tried switching between 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 kernel. I'm guessing it's a library issue, probably libc, but I don't know how to tell.

I realize that this is the tomcat user list and not the Sun Java/Debian support list so if you just want to tell me where to go I would be happy with that :-)