Vladimir Grishchenko wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > * Have the link on your home page exactly has you describe, but have
> >   the link point at a "Welcome To My Application" page inside the
> >   protected area.  The fact that this page is protected will trigger
> >   the authentication dialog, and once the user has identified themselves,
> >   they will be welcomed to your app.  From then on, they will have
> >   already been authenticated.
>
> The interface I want to use is similar to one found here:
> http://groups.google.com/
>
> or here:
>
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/?frontpage-main
>
> You can see a login box on the first page, so I cannot really have a link to
> some page in protected area and make sure login form triggered...
>
> I just want to know if there are any tricks I can play to make it work
> with built in authentication, and form-based a. seems to be almost what I
> want, except the fact it must be triggered by a request to a protected resource.

I am also facing the same problem and had an idea while reading your
post. Maybe you can set a frame on your main page where you want the
login to appear. That frame links to that welcome page proposed by
Craig. What would actually be loaded on the frame is the login page.

Haven´t tried it, tell me if it works if you do. And if you got any
workaround by the way.

I also seem to have read somewhere that you can do what you want using
the JDBCRealm. Have you tried anything on that line?

Christian Rauh

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NewTrade