Thanks Matt.
This is in fact what I have been doing to date :) .  The problem is, that to
configure the error page to handle several different status codes, you have
to keep repeating basically the same 4 lines of config, with just the error
code changing each time - a bit repetitive, and not good from a maintenance
viewpoint.  I'm thinking that there must be a neater way.....?