Hi,
Tomcat only ships with the basic JavaMail provider, which IIRC doesn't
have S/MIME support.  You have to get a 3rd party library, such as
CryptoMail (a SourceForge project IIRC), and use it.  You might need to
write a trivial CryptoMailSessionFactory to use as the Bean factory for
Tomcat's JNDI resource.  Or you could use the library directory from
your webapp without going through Tomcat and its JNDI resources.

There are numerous providers of S/MIME support for JavaMail listed on
the JavaMail java.sun.com site.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

and notify the sender.  Thank you.