On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:16:44PM +0200, Philipp Taprogge wrote:
: Perhaps one of the gurus could space a few minutes...

-or you could search the archives. ;) Your question comes up regularly.

: I have worked with tomcat quite a bit, but never had to do anythings
: like this before: I need to do some work (basically get some data from a
: db and set up a scheduler) once and immediately when my webapp is
: deployed or redeployed (ideally even before requests to it get served).
: Is there a neat way to do this? Any clued would be very appreciated.

For Tomcat 4.x and later, investigate the ContextListener class.  It was
designed for exactly this: you register it with the container, and on
certain events (context is deployed/removed) certain ContextListener
methods are called.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net