Hi Joe,

> I'm trying to compile Tomcat 5.0.28 from source using Sun's new JDK 1.5. I am using
> Ant 1.6.2 (which I built from source against the 1.5 JDK). I successfully get
> through grabbing all of the dependant libraries that I need. Once the build script
> gets to the "build-main" target, I get an error which states "javac: target release
> 1.1 conflicts with default source release 1.5".
>
> Can Tomcat be built against the 1.5 JDK? Also, does this error indicate that Tomcat
> is being built using the 1.1 JDK target, thus skipping optimizations introduced in
> the 1.2  - 1.5 JDKs? Or, is this a library that was built using 1.1, and is
> conflicting with 1.5?
I believe Tomcat 5.5 is built with 1.5.  Don't know what happens to
5.0, though.  Why not try 5.5?

> Here's more of the ANT error output:
>
> build-main:

<snip />

>    [javac] javac: target release 1.1 conflicts with default source release 1.5
Check out the "source" and "target" attributes of the "javac" task.
    http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html
And of course, the javac document.
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.html

Best regards,