At 08:19 AM 9/30/2004 +0100, you wrote:

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jacob Kjome

    > Do you know what logger is used by default by commons-logging in
    > Tomcat if log4j isn't present?

    I'm not very privy to the internals of commons-logging, but
    I think they have some sort of simple logger which is used
    when there is no other logging implementation available.
    Don't quote me on that, though.

Is it the commons-logging that produces
catalina_log.date.txt? Is there a config file as per log4j?

Even when testing, this file becomes quite significant.
It would be nice to reduce/minimise its output.

Ultimately, Tomcat uses commons-logging for logging, but uses its own Logger interface which is configured in context configuration files or server.xml. Note that this is no longer the case in 5.5.x. Read the docs on Tomcat's Logger's for more info.

Jake