From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Shankar Unni
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 4:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Weird Red Hat Enterprise Startup

Mike Cherichetti (Renegade Internet) wrote:

>  Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
>  Dumping information about last error:
>  ERROR REPORT FILE = (N/A)
>  PC                = 0x00000000

This is the Java VM aborting. You'll probably find core.* files littered
in the Tomcat directory from java.

I've been running into this same problem with Java 1.4.2_0x (including
_05) on Red Hat EL 3.0.

One (not guaranteed or foolproof) workaround is to run java with the
"-server" option (you'll have to pass it in via the JAVA_OPTS env
variable or something). This made the crash go away in our setup. You
can also play with the heap params and see if that helps. The crash is
in some GC processing that kicks in at the wrong moment..