David Aleksanyan wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to Tomcat and am looking for some direction to solve a
performance issue.

We have an app that does XSLT transformation after creating the XML in the
JSP.
Right now we're using XALAN for XSLT transform with Tomcat and it's terribly
slow.

I've searched the net and it seems to me that the only thing available is
open source is XT which is I think not supported any more. I couldn't find a
sample to make a transformation and see if it's any better.

After further research I found out that if I could precompile the XSL
stylesheets with XSLTc then I would notice improvement.
But again I wasn't able to find any samples on using XALAN for this and
finally decided to ask you.

Did you have any experience with this and could you recommend anything?
maybe another library that accomplishes this or maybe a sample of doing
XSLTc precompilation.

Are you caching your Templates object (you should not cache the Transformer object)?

Anyway, you could 'pre' compile them in a servlet's init method with load-on-startup=1 (or some other value). However, I don't think you will get validation errors until you run source through the stylesheets.

You might want to check out Caucho's Resin which also compiles the XSL. It is open source, but not free.

best,
-Rob

Thanks,

David Aleksanyan