Seems to me that browsers are inherently "pull" technology because at the
basic level they send a single request and await a single response to it.
You can't push stuff at them that they haven't requested.  Hence why you
have to use an approach like your javascript - which, by the way, I have
used in the past in a web-based control system without problems - it might
not feel that elegant, but it does work.

I would think that to get a true push approach you would have to extend the
browser capabilities using a plugin of some sort, e.g. java applet / activex
/ etc.  Never tried this myself though so can't comment if this will solve
it.